Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Birthday Card {Tutorial}

I'm hosting Card Group this month (what's left of it) and it's my first time. I've made cards on and off for several years now but this is the first time I've even been in a club. I feel so official!

I decided to go with a birthday card because, let's face it, you can never have too many of those. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out so I thought I'd share a quick tutorial.


1. Cut your card out of cardstock. Final size: 5 1/2" x 4 1/4"
2. Cut two rectangles out of coordinating cardstock. 4" x 3 1/2" and 3 1/2" x 2 1/4". Adhere to cardstock.
3. Cut a long strip out of coordinating fabric (5 1/2" x 1") and adhere.
4. Cut out a cupcake and decorate with gemstones and ric rac. Adhere to cardstock with foam tape.
5. Glue a candle to the card at the top of the cupcake.
6. Use a brad to adhere a piece of ric rac to the corder of the card.
7. Use stickers, rub-ons, die cuts, etc. to make a birthday sentiment (i.e. Happy Birthday, It's Your Day, The Big Day, etc.) and adhere sentiment to card.

I used my Cricut to cut out the cupcake but I made a pattern for it so you could cut one out on your own if you don't have a machine to do it for you. The pattern is HERE.

And you're done. I think it turned out really cute.


p.s. I forgot to mention that if you use a dark cardstock like I did it's hard to write anything on the inside and have it actually show up. To fix this problem I cut out a piece of cardstock in the same cream color as my cupcake icing and glued it to the inside of the card. I cut it out slightly smaller than the actual card (5 1/4" x 4") and it makes a perfect place to write your note.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Very cute Jenn! I'm impressed you have the time to do something like that! Good for you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...