Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Making Room Phase 2 {Minky Rag Quilt}

No, your math is not wrong, 2 does not come before 1. I did finish the majority of the painting in our girls room and we got the bunk beds set up, but there are a few minor things to finish before I take pictures so today I'm skipping to phase 2, which is much more exciting anyway. And if you have no idea what I'm talking about read Here first.

I've made bedding for cribs before, but never any type of quilt, so that was the first thing on my to make list. I knew it would take me the longest and I have a tendency to get bored with projects and leave them unfinished, so while I was still really excited to get sewing I figured I better tackle the hardest part first.

Instead of making a traditional quilt, which I think are so beautiful but I don't have the patience for, I decided to go with a rag quilt. I'm sure most of you have seen these before or even made one yourself so I'm not going to give a detailed tutorial on it, but I did do a few things different that I think makes it just a little bit more special.

These type of quilts are incredibly easy and super fast (unless you do everything the hard way like me) and if you want to make one there is great video tutorial Here.

I didn't actually use a tutorial when I made mine, instead I called my sewing extraordinaire friend Joni and got instructions from her.


What I love about her rag quilts is that instead of using flannel which is the most common fabric to use, she uses cotton on top and minky on the bottom. I'm using several cotton prints from This Amy Butler collection for all of the crib bedding and I used This minky for the back.


I also used six inch squares of fabric instead of eight inch like the video uses and every other one of my squares was a patchwork of two fabrics. I love the way it turned out doing it that way, but it also took a lot more time. And, after I cut out all my squares I realized that I was short two tiny blue squares of fabric. Ahhh! I did not want to pay $6 to ship $1 worth of fabric however, so I improvised and tried to make my little error in calculating fabric look like it was intentional.


And finally, I really wanted this quilt to have a more finished look so instead of just fraying all the edges on the outside I decided to bind it. This was my first time binding anything and honestly I had always been terrified of mitered corners, but after watching This video I realized it was not nearly as scary as I had always imagined. The binding definitely added more to the time consuming portion of how my rag quilt differs from more traditional ones, but I'm so glad I took the time to do it. I even have mitered corners!!! They aren't perfect, but they are there and that's all that matters to me right now.


Macy even gave this blanket her coziness seal of approval! Now I can't wait to wrap it around a fat beautiful baby!



11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sally, I am so impressed!!! It is beautiful and the colors are gorgeous!!! Your a crafty devil!

Jenn said...

It's so cute. I love it. Can't wait to see the rest of the bedding!

Quin's momma said...

I'm loving it! I can't wait to see everything all done. You did a fabulous job!

Seth and Julie said...

I love those quilts. I always wanted one and luckily someone finally made me one with my third kiddo. I love the colors you chose too, still totally girly without being cliche. Now I need to go add this blog to my blog list. I forget to come over here unless you link to it on your family blog and I am missing good stuff.

Julie said...

hey! i love this quilt. I have been wanting to make a rag quilt for a few months and I am soo happy that you posted one using minky. I LOVE it! I was wondering what the dimensions were for your quilt. Is it 7 squares x 7 squares? I like the size of yours better than the one in the video that you posted. :)

thebucknerfamily at gmail.com

Sally said...

Julie, My blanket is actually 7 squares by 9 squares because I wanted a retangle instead of a square. Thanks for asking, I actually was going to put that in my post but then forgot.

Dee dee said...

Absolutely adorable! I am so impressed. Can't wait to see the entire room. You got your Grandma Hug's decorating ability. Glad I was able to be a carrier! :)

SarahLeeAllenBrown said...

You are so talented!! And congrats on your baby! good job hanging in there and staying busy while Josh is so busy himself...props to you!!!

erin, maker of chimes said...

oh my gosh, this is sooo pretty! I bought a ton of minky squares from someone's 'destash' sale online and I'm thinking a quilt like yours will be the perfect way to use them. ahhhh, thank you! the hard part will be deciding whether to make it for my little dude to cuddle up with or to go with something girly like yours. appreciate the inspiration :)

Anonymous said...

I'm working on my own cotton/minky rag quilt. Did you use any batting? Is the weight ok with just the minky and cotton? Yours turned out really well!

Sally said...

No I did not use any batting. It is plenty warm without!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...