Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Today's simple reminder

Sometimes I forget that my kids have the same feelings as I do. I know that sounds terrible, but I forget that if I were in their shoes and someone yelled at me for bad behavior I would probably feel mad, defensive, and embarrassed. Sometimes I forget that they have tender little hearts that need love and encouragement instead of harsh words.

Yesterday I got yelled at. In public. From a complete stranger. I won't re-tell the story since I already posted about it here, but I am actually a little grateful for the experience. I know it sounds strange since I walked out of the store and cried because I was so upset, but the first thing I thought about when I finally collected myself was "this must be what my kids feel like when I'm unjustly hard on them." I never ever want my children to feel that way because of me.

That experience and that thought is what saved me from completely loosing it later that same day when I had to take all 3 of my kids to the fabric store.

Sometimes, we really are given exactly what we need, even if it doesn't seem like a blessing at the time.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...