Monday, August 1, 2011

Breaking the Date Night Rut

                                                        (Me and the Doc at Christmas)

Do you and your spouse have a regular weekly date night? If you do, I'm jealous! We want to, but usually his work schedule and lack of funds get in the way. That and sometimes I'm just too lazy to call a babysitter so instead one of us runs to the overpriced grocery store around the corner for some ice cream and we cozy up on the couch with netflix. And those nights are great too, but between watching the movie and stuffing our faces with ice cream, there isn't much conversation taking place.

I decided this past week that we are going to start making date night a priority! After all, our marriage should be a priority, right. OK, so there is just one other problem. I get really tired of the whole dinner and a movie scene, which is probably the main reason why I sometimes just don't call a sitter. I enjoy a nice dinner and a good movie, but every time is too much. I need a little spontaneity.

Saturday was the first date of Operation Shake Things Up, and this is how it went down. First of all, we went out in the afternoon instead of the evening. You wouldn't really think it would make that much of a difference, but just to be out and about in the daylight instead of the dark was actually really nice. Also, Lunch menus are usually a bit cheaper, and if you happen to see a movie, it is also cheaper.

After lunch we headed over to Border's to see if the going out of business sale was any good yet. It wasn't, but we still picked up a few things. Mostly for the kids, but we've both got our eyes on a few things we would like to go back for when the sales get better. After the book store I had planned on surprising my husband with a trip to the driving range, but he didn't want me to have to sit outside in the heat, so instead we decided to check out our local Japanese market.

I'm not going to lie, I felt a little uncomfortable being the only two Caucasians in the whole store, but we still had a great time. I think we spent five minutes just staring at all the different varieties of mushrooms they carry. And, I don't really get out of my comfort zone all that much so it was good for me. Plus, after about ten minutes I noticed that the bag girl had blond hair so we weren't completely alone. We went the safe route and only ended up leaving with a package of noodles and some candies, but now I can't wait to check out the Indian grocery store as well. PS. If you ever come across cantaloupe flavored Hi-Chew (a Japanese candy that resembles Mamba), you have to try it!

We just might have used up all our creativity on that one date, but I sure hope not, because it was the best time I've had with my husband in a long time and I want next week to be just as fun.

So, what about you? Do you have any good ideas to help us break out of our dinner and a movie rut? 






No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...