Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Candied Carrots

I'm going to be honest. Cooked carrots was never one of my favorite side dishes. Until, one day when I was visiting my parents my Mom made them baked in the oven with just butter and salt and they were so yummy! You have to put quite a bit of butter on them though and my husband is trying to get ready for our cruise this summer and has requested NO BUTTER!

Um, can you even make vegetables without butter?

Well, I've done some searching and this is one of the recipes that I found recently that was actually pretty tasty, and is sans golden goodness. Although I wouldn't exactly say they taste like candy like the author implies. Still good none the less.

2 pounds carrots, sliced 1/2 inch thick (don't use baby carrots, they aren't as good)
1-1/2 C. water
2 cinnamon sticks
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground ginger
4 tsp. lemon juice
6 Tbs. honey

Bring water to a boil in a large skillet; add carrots, cinnamon sticks, cumin, and ginger. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.

Add honey and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Boil uncovered for 4 minutes or until the liquid evaporates and carrots are tender.

1 comment:

CottageGirl said...

Yum! Those carrots sound so delicious! Perhaps they'll be a Thanksgiving dish to serve!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...